Wednesday 27 February 2008

Le Sigh

[Luke and Lorelai's first real date; they have just read a long story on the back of a menu, hence the menu line]

Lorelai:
Hey, do you remember the first time we met?
Luke: What?
Lorelai: I'm just trying to remember the first time we met. It must have been at Luke's, right?
Luke: [nods] It was at Luke's, it was at lunch, it was a very busy day, the place was packed, and this person...
Lorelai: Ooh, is it me? Is it me?
Luke: This person comes tearing into the place in a caffeine frenzy.
Lorelai: [happily] Ooh, it's me.
Luke: I was with a customer. She interrupts me, wild-eyed, begging for coffee, so I tell her to wait her turn. Then she starts following me around, talking a mile a minute, saying God knows what. So finally I turn to her, and I tell her she's being annoying - sit down, shut up, I'll get to her when I get to her.
Lorelai: Y'know, I bet she took that very well, 'cause she sounds just delightful.
Luke: She asked me what my birthday was. I wouldn't tell her. She wouldn't stop talking. I gave in. I told her my birthday. Then she opened up the newspaper to the horoscope page, wrote something down, tore it out, handed it to me.
Lorelai: God, seriously. You wrote the menu, didn't you?
Luke: So I'm looking at this piece of paper in my hand, and under Scorpio, she had written 'You will meet an annoying woman today. Give her coffee and she'll go away.' I gave her coffee.
Lorelai: [grins] But she didn't go away.
Luke: She told me to hold on to that horoscope, put it in my wallet, and carry it around with me -
[takes a piece of paper from his wallet and gives it to her]
Luke: one day it would bring me luck.
Lorelai: [teasing] Well, man, I will say anything for a cup of coffee
[reads it, grows serious]
Lorelai: Um... I can't believe you kept this. You kept this in your wallet?
[sees his face]
Lorelai: You kept this in your wallet.
Luke: Eight years.
Lorelai: [emotionally] Eight years

1 comment:

Helene said...

Som jeg sa på "drinking coffee elsewherere".. den er så fiiin! og jeg bare smiler nå. fantastisk!